Disease! Everyone suffers from this at some point of time in their lives….isn't it? It can be pathogenic, due to any deficiency, hereditary, physiological, acute, chronic, communicable or noncommunicable but with the main effect: impairing the normal functioning of your body.
Are you a sufferer of any ailment…? How do you feel…? Ah! its obvious you are sensing dis-ease…dismay, depressed and disappointment. … the thing that is going to help you a lot, to overcome your maladies is………..
Amla or Indian Gooseberry a major source of CITRIC ACID. Because whatever medicines we take either capsules, tablets, inhalers, injections, they all are more or less converted into free radicals by the essential metabolic process of the human body. Sometimes they react on our DNA and the body and may cause grave diseases like arthritis, high blood pressure, heart problems, alzheimer’s, cancer and so on. So it's better to keep your body free from free radicals by consuming citric acid. The different sources of citric acid are lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits, strawberries, kiwi fruit, pineapples, apples, pears, cherries, raspberries, sugar cane and also vegetables such as mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, peas and asparagus. But the ultimate source of citric acid is - INDIAN GOOSEBERRY !
Indian means “the native of India” and gooseberry denotes “a round edible yellowish-green small fruit “ which is rich in antioxidant properties; used for achieving longevity and abolish anti aging. It is the cheapest source of vitamin c plus also enhance your body’s natural defences and healing mechanisms. Based on its qualities and importance in ayurveda AMLA can be redefined as
So to keep an eye on your body health read this article…
Amla action on our systems
There is no part in our body which is exempted from amla benefits. Its actions on different systems can be elucidated as follows:
- Sense organs: Eyes are the most important sense organs of our body but due to our daily lifestyle we are unable to take care of them. That's why nowadays eye disorders like nearsightedness, cataracts, intraocular pressure, eye redness, macular degeneration, itching and watering of eyes are quite common, no matter whether you are an adult or an infant. But if you want to keep your eyes healthy then you must make a habit of using amla everyday in any form. Example- Drink fresh amla juice, rinse your eyes with triphala water (containing harad, baheda and amla) or you can use amla soaked water to wash your eyes as it improves your eyesight a lot.
- Integumentary system: Hair is the part of this system, problems related to hairs like greying of hairs, hair fall, dandruff, split ends, their roughness and dullness are matter of concern. All these things may lead to a furious stage, so take a step forward to stop these problems before becoming bald headed… Here is the solution for you…
Take 2 amlas and grind them so that a fine paste is available to you and now directly apply it over your scalp. Leave this for about 20-30 minutes and then rinse your scalp with lukewarm water. Otherwise you can also add amla paste into warm coconut oil to form a mixture. By these simple remedies you can easily get relief from hair difficulties and devastating dandruff. Amalgamation of natural herbs like basil, reetha, shikakai and henna with amla juice will show you the real difference. At this time your hairs attains more darker colour, looks naturally black and more conditioned. Amla is also known as the world's oldest conditioners.
- Digestive system: It is said that the proper process of digestion always keep diseases at arm's length. In ayurveda the process of digestion is controlled by pitta and amla is an excellent herb for proper functioning of pitta dosha (digestion, absorption, assimilation and excretion) hence we can easily conclude that amla keeps digestive problems like anorexia, low digestive fire, constipation, intestinal worms, liver diseases, acidity at bay. Amla juice has the ability to act over the intestinal worms further its fiber, polyphenol proves to be an excellent antidote for an upset stomach. Due to the presence of fiber amla is also added into the class of laxatives. A teaspoon of amla juice on an empty stomach abolish acidity in just few minutes. It is also used in nausea, hyperacidity and ulcers.
- Circulatory system: Amla is an excellent source of vitamin C therefore it is mainly prescribe to the patients of heart diseases (check cholesterol) like atherosclerosis, blockage of blood flow to the heart, hypertension, bleeding disorders and to purify the blood for their well being. Erythropoiesis is also a pivotal characteristics of amla which make it so special due to presence of iron thus patients suffering from anemia must take amla juice regularly to increase haemoglobin and red blood cells.
- Respiratory ailments: Chyavanprash is a herbal tonic prepared by various ingredients out of which amla is the core constituent hence an easy assumption can be made about its importance. It proves to be the best friend of respiratory system hence used in multitude maladies like chest infections, chronic cough, tuberculosis, bronchitis, allergic rhinitis, asthma, flu, throat infections and blocked chest problems.
- Reproductive system: Amla is a great panacea for reproductive systems of both male and females. It balances the principle doshas (vata, pitta and kapha) thus creating a balanced environment for the proper functioning of the systems. Feminine issues like leucorrhoea, uterine prolapse and menstruation are treated by this wonderful berry. Emblica officinalis also nourishes all the seven dhatus of your body namely Rasa-rakta-mas-meda-asthi-majja and sukra therefore helps in proper functioning of ovaries and sperm as an outcome enhances fertility and the possibility of conception. Amla mainly acts as an aphrodisiac and increases sperm count and motility. It helps to rejuvenate male and female reproductive system both.
- Urinary system: Most of the people suffer from urinary tract infections and symptoms like frequent urination, itching in the genital organs creates irritation. For this you have to take amla juice regularly for a week this will exit out all the microorganisms causing this problem due to the action of vitamin C in addition to keeping the bladder healthy.
- Skin: As amla is a powerful pitta pacifying fruit therefore it can be used in all type of skin diseases because it believed that majority of the skin diseases occurred due to imbalanced pitta. In nutshell it improves your complexion, works in anti aging, exfoliate the dead cells, cleans your skin, remove damaged tissues, prevent pigmentation, pimples and acne, also results in skin tightening and toning.
Note: Cancer is a deadly disease; due to this not only patient but also patient’s partner, parents and relatives suffers. So in order to deal with this disease and its treatment like chemotherapy, amla is the best berry as it prevents the growth of cancerous cells and also protect natural cells from being harmed. However medical advice with your physician is important in such cases.
- Juice -10 -20 ml, Powder: 3 - 6gm
- Formulations - Chyavanprash, bhramhrasrayan, dhatri loh, dhatri rasayan.
Ayurvedic Properties and action
- Rasa: amla, kashaya, madhura, tikta, katu.
- Guna: ruksha, guru
- Virya: sita
- Vipaka: madhura
- Karma: tridosha hara, vrishya, rasayana, chakshusha.
- Preparations: decoctions, infusions, powder.
Some quick homemade recipes of amla
Nowadays a vast variety of amla products are available in the market but it is better to make fresh items of amla so here we are revealing some recepies by which you can easily use amla at your home. These formulation increases the immunity of your body, its antibacterial properties deal with the infections, also helps in weight loss by improving the metabolism. The main point is that you can use amla in any way you want such as amla powder, amla juice, candy, sauce, jam, pickle.
How to make…..
Amla candy: Amla is an extremely beneficial fruit for our health but most of us won't be able to eat this fruit in direct way because of its taste. So Amla candy is the best solution to this… Even childrens are going to enjoy this one so lets start making amla candy. Take 1000 grams of fresh amlas and boil them for 2 minutes so that they get soften. Softening of amla is essential as it facilitates you to remove each bud of amla easily. Now add 500 gram of sugar to these pieces; with time you will notice that whole of the sugar is converted in liquid form. You can taste an amla bud to check its bitterness and if required add some more sugar to it. Thereafter remove the pieces of amla from the sugary water and let them dry in proper sunlight for 2 days. Then you will observe that your Amla candy is ready to use.
Amla hair oil: Oiling of hair is very important but sometimes after proper oiling we don't get the desired results i.e the growth and texture of hair remains as it is. But this hair oil will definitely work… To make an amla hair oil you will need amla powder, water and coconut oil. First of all we have to prepare amla decoction so for this add 500 gms of amla powder into 8 liters of water and boil it till this solution is reduced to 2 liter. Now take 200 gms of amla powder and add little bit of water to it. Furthermore add this paste to the coconut oil and heat this mixture. In the meantime filter the amla decoction because now we are going to add this decoction into the coconut oil; boil this mixture till water is evaporated. By this method you will obtain a pure amla hair oil. Slowly the oil is getting separated from the mixture. When the oil is totally separated from the mixture then filter it and preserve it in a glass container.
Amla murabba: Take spotless amlas from the market and pierce them from the frock and put these amlas into the water containing alm in it, till few days. After that again wash them thoroughly. Now boil these amlas till they attain softness moreover add sugar over these amlas till that sugar become liquid in state. You will observe that in 5- 6 hours the sugar dissolves completely and acquires a chasni stage. Now you can taste the amla murabba and use it regularly for great results.
Amla is cheapest sources of natural vitamin C but due to its inestimable outcome; in ayurveda it is designated as rasayana as it enhances longevity, abolish the ailments, slows the process of ageing, promotes the immunity and rejuvenate soma. The process of rejuvenation is not superficial i.e at systemic or at organs level however it carries out at the cellular level for prolongation of human life. It help us to live a disease free life. So use Amla as an ingredient in your diet regularly.